...Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. Ruth 1:16 This is the journey of our lives...

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Crunchy Posts - tips on saving money

Kristi calls me crunchy when I start posting this way, but I have to say that going the natural route can certainly help during these economically hard times.

-I'm back to cloth diapering, I got out of the habit when Braxtyn potty trained and then I waited with Cozette, using mainly chlorine free disposables. However, G-diapers have the best alternative. Amy Roberts, Debbie Main and myself have joined the many converts to the revolutionized 1/2 cloth, 1/2 disposable diaper. It doubles as an on- the- go, chlorine free disposable insert and then allows you to use a cloth insert while at home. Less washing and good for babies skin. You can even compost the wet disposable inserts. Anyhow, Cozy is sporting pink, orange, brown and cream cutie G-pants. It's a huge savings when you consider you will spend about $100 to diaper your child from 6 months to at least 18months and then another $50 from 18months until potty training. I think on disposables you can spend about $30-$40 per month. I just learned how to sew my own cloth inserts and will save tremendous amounts there too.

-It's gardening season, Any backyard can grow food! Gurneys.com has $25 off coupons for seed purchasing. If you compost your newspapers and coffee grounds you can plant right in it without having to churn up the soil. Send your husband fishing for fresh fish emulsion to mix into our dessert dirt for rich soil. Plant your lettuce and carrots now just cover if it gets frosty. Dig a small trench and throw a bag of organic potatoes into it, cover with compost and water, you will have a huge potato crop! drop your old fall pumpkins into the ground, add water and they will sprout right up!

-If you didn't already know, you can negotiate most all of your monthly bills. I was able to get free tivo and $10 off any programming package I chose for an entire year. I was even able to negotiate my trash service bill. Anything you pay monthly, start calling and see what they will do for you. It doesn't hurt to ask and it can only save you more money!

-Make your own bread its a fraction of the cost and if you can find a bread machine gently used it is well worth the time. I got my bread machine for $15
-Make waffles and freeze them so you can re-heat them. It's like Eggos but cheaper and better for you (stole this one from Belinda!)

Well that's all I have for today. Happy saving!

2 comments:

Aimee said...

Thanks Brooke, this is awesome. I love it when you get crunchy:).

Amy said...

Tell me more about free tivo and negotiating your monthly bills! We need to get together one of these days too...