...Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. Ruth 1:16 This is the journey of our lives...

Saturday, December 10, 2016

This mountain just makes me happy to wake up in the mornings.

The art of making pies has been passed down from my mamma. We love to do it and frankly, I think we do a pretty good job of it. But my favorite part is not the actual eating it, although that's quite a pay off, it's the art of making it with people I love.
 Seeing these little hands shape the edges of the pie crust,
 Rolling the dough so it's not too thick and not too thin,
 Blending each ingredient so the crust is just right, dry and not wet and gooey,
 And giggling. Mostly, we like the laughter that fills the kitchen...and oh the smells of cinnamon!
Each and every year, we come together and bake and create together.





I wish life could be pie making day, every day. Or pie eating day....hmm maybe both days on a loop.
Either way, I had to document this special tradition that is part of who we are.

And what has created the "foodie" in me.

Apparently I'm what you'd call a foodie. Mostly sweets, but I can also appreciate the meat and potatoes of a meal. My sister in law, who is also a foodie, told me once she loved movies and books about food. I didn't realize this was a thing, but in fact its like the best thing. Ever. Last year about this time, I was desperate for some mindless entertainment, mind numbing distraction from the grief and loss of losing my best friend and my dad. Baking became this thing I did with my hands and reading anything deep or meaningful was totally out of the question. So, I found books that were written about food. Not only cookbooks written by interesting people, but fictional characters who owned bakeries and solved mysteries while enjoying chocolate ganache frosted cupcakes. And as ridiculous as this sounds when I say it out loud, the more I want to re-read the Christmas novels I read last year! Apparently I'm not the only one, there are a million and 1 Christmas bakery books to choose from. But Christmas in Good Hope by Cindy Kirk was one of my favorites!

The light parade down main street tonight.


TV and Movies just for the holidays and Food!

Gilmore Girls
Chocolat
Julie and Julia
When Harry Met Sally (I'll have what she's having) ;)
Fried Green Tomatoes





No comments: