...Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. Ruth 1:16 This is the journey of our lives...

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Immanuel's Veins







I love to read.

Simply put, I used to read, no devour a book a day. And although my everyday life does not allow that. I still hunger for a great book. For many years we had this awesome book club. I think we read and sometimes re-read some of the greatest books ever written. They impacted our lives for ever. It's the like the first moment you opened, Anne of Green Gables and realized you loved and wanted to live in Avonlea and dive into the depths of despair with your best friend Diana, or when you went into Hogwarts with Harry and battled Voldemort, yes, I am Harry Potter fan. I cannot help myself. I love so many types of books. Well, anyways, this week my entire family got the flu and in this moment of laying around recovering and letting the house go and the laundry pile up. I gave into some amazing books. yep two...I haven't read this much since all four Twilight books. A few thousand pages in a matter of days. This wasn't so different. My eyes are blurry after the 378 pages since yesterday. I am a huge Ted Dekker fan. This may seem strange since I HATE scary movies, and in turn cringe at every scary reference in a book. I'm a wimp..I stick to the old Hitchcock movies. They are enough to frighten me. See, so Ted Dekker and me, we have this strange relationship. I know I can trust him, I know he writes the truth, it's just I have to decide to dive in and hang on til the end. Then I can breathe again. If I stop short, I may not have the courage to pick it up and reap its benefits. This week I was in that kind of mood. I am a huge Circle fan. These are an amazing adventure! A mythical journey into another world that makes an allegory seem week in describing what he does in this trilogy. Well, he wrote a fourth book, that...get this! You can read before or after the other three. My suggestion: Read Black, Red, White and then Green.. then you have to move on to the Paradise series, which for me, I could only (and barely that) read Showdown. That book was too much for me. I mean I get it, but oh my, Ted Dekker can really write EVIL. However, it does help you appreciate the book Green. OK, so after I read Green, and so appreciated more story added to the Circle. I grabbed Immanuel's Veins. Now if you are a die hard Twilight fan...READ THIS BOOK! I was gripped, I couldn't put it down and I wanted more. AND..if you are not a Twilight fan..READ IT! I am sounding silly, when really this book can be life changing if you haven't thought about the reality that he writes about.

First off the book is a total challenge to you when the cover says: This story is for everyone, but everyone is not for this story. I mean come on! How can you not read it now. But to be serious, its pretty intense and although I love Anne of Green Gables, Redeeming Love, Harry Potter, Bella and Edward, A Voice in the Wind, and...I'm terrified of a scary movie..please don't let me deter you from trying this tasteful telling of an amazing story about the richness of love and loss and a compelling tale of Good vs. Evil. If you've read Dekker before, you will be surprised at this one. Ok, its 10pm and I'm exhausted from all this intense reading. I have intense laundry and house cleaning to catch up on tomorrow. I'm no book critic but I will leave you with this:

A dangerous tale of time past. A love story full of deep seduction. A story of terrible longing and bold sacrifice. With a kiss, evil will ravage the body, soul and mind. Yet, there remains hope, because the heart knows no bounds. Love will prove greater than lust. Sacrifice will overcome seduction. And blood will flow...But remember, not everyone is for this story.

Ted Dekker

Immanuel's veins

1 comment:

Doni Brinkman said...

Oh my gosh wasn't Immanuel's veins a great book? I read it earlier this year and LOVED it! You should read the Hunger Games series too before the movie comes out this year. That is a really good read.