...Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. Ruth 1:16 This is the journey of our lives...

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Finding Church

I'm finding myself with Sunday depression. Yes, that's what Daniel has called it in the past and until recently I didn't understand him. We have visited churches and although I have met some beautiful, wonderful people...I have yet to find a home church. That name has only belonged for me, at GFF in Arizona. Well without that I though that we would just find a place where we love the people and settle in. I have this strange feeling, God doesn't want me settling in. Actually the one thing I can say that has been truly clear over the last year or so is that the word "settled" is not in my vocabulary. It's more of an "I don't know" vocabulary. Anyways, I have been wondering why, of all places where there is at least 4 churches at every intersection, I cannot find one. I have read Wayne Jacobson's blog tonight and this answered my question.

Even our Christian culture tells us that increased attendance, best-selling books, and growing audiences await those who obey Jesus. In fact, those who misunderstood Jesus the most were those most passionate about religion. You will even find other Christians calling you back to the broader road thinking they are helping you follow God. Don't be fooled. He's the only one we can follow. Even if that means you are misunderstood, God will be faithful to provide other believers at just the right moment to encourage you on the journey.
Fitting in with Religious Leaders or Perhaps Disappointing Them
In our day, many who claim to lead in the body of Christ are not much more than well-intentioned program managers. They have an organization to run and personal goals to meet and often view people around them as simply part of that process. If we confuse a submissive heart with following their instructions, we will often find ourselves moving away from the path God has chosen for us.
We all know how important it is to glean God's wisdom from other believers, including those who might be further along the journey. However, make sure those are people who are on the journey to knowing God, not those imbedded in religious institutions and who have a vested interest in you doing things their way. Religious leaders are those who lead people into religion. Weren't these types always at odds with Jesus? Did he put their directions above his Father's?
Of course not! But how can you tell the difference between religious leaders and mature believers God has put around you? True leaders won't tell you what Father's will is for you; they will instead help you grow close enough to Jesus to understand that for yourself. I find it curious that most of the latter I've met in recent years rarely waste their time in management positions of institutionized Christianity.

Signposts On the Journey
By Wayne Jacobsen
BodyLife • May 1999


This is the answer, I knew it when I read it. So what to do now? We aren't attending church for now. I'm hoping to skype GFF sermons at home and learn to BE the church here, in a way of fellowship and encouragment with other believers that have a desire to share in this journey. Everything else is religion. And I am not interested in religion.

Braxtyn: What church are we going to?

Graham: It's just a building we can have church anywhere

Braxtyn: Can I have church outside? In a tree? On a rock?

Daniel: In a train, in a box, with a fox....

Noah: our church is wherever we are. Jesus is here so we can have church in the car.

And then we recited the remaining verses of Green Eggs and Ham. I am thankful that my children understand that there is a greater body of believers than what's in a building and that we are all the church, not separated into small institutions that compete for attendance and club dues.

On a side note. While the boys were upstairs "allegedly" cleaning their room...Graham shoved a wire of some sort into Noah's ear. The pain has lessened and I'm probably taking him to the Dr. tomorrow to check it out. Braxtyn decided to use her toothpaste as face wash and is now crying with a runny nose and bright red eyes. CAN THEY GROW BRAINS SOON? PLEASE?





6 comments:

Aimee said...

AMEN SISTER! I'm so glad you found that. It explains it so beautifully. As for the kiddos, I'm hoping the same for mine. Zandi decided to let the neighbor boy (who is notorious for trouble making) use her BB gun. Guess what he did? Yep, shot a chicken. SOOOOO MAD this morning!!!!!
Love you:)

Doni Brinkman said...

Well said (by you and Wayne) :). I hope Noah is okay!

Unknown said...

Oh those precious children of yours are ALL Zimmermann for sure! :-) I hope Noah is ok...ear injuries HURT!

I hope Wayne's words helped enough to settle your heart. I don't know what I would do if I ever needed to find a new "home" church. GFF has raised the bar for sure!

Sending prayers and LOVE!

mikeanddebbie said...

Love the Green Eggs and Ham quotes--we laughed out loud. Great post!!!!

Amy said...

You are so right on. Praise the Lord for leading you to that conclusion. Praying for you guys!

Anonymous said...

Hello,
I don't know the new name of Deer Valley but, that was one of the best churches I've ever been too. I am recently looking for a church home myself. It's hard to find a church. I've been attending South Peoria Baptist church of the last Five years. It's been a good church but I'm at a place in my life where I need a little more. Maybe I can get Pastor Don a radio show and you can hear a message from him on our website. I'll ask him if he's interested.