...Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. Ruth 1:16 This is the journey of our lives...

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

I have five kids...WHAT?

Ya, I know it should be obvious to me. But sometimes it just hits me, usually square in the forehead as I'm sliding through spilled something on the tile floor, or when I get everyone ready to go and Cozette is in the driver's seat with no shoes and uncombed hair..OOps, forgot one!


It's the very funny moments when I'm sitting on the sofa, holding Quinn, and I look around me at five amazing kids. I look at Daniel across the room and we just smile and shake our heads at the chaos. Sometimes the chaos is beautiful and sometimes, I find myself in the middle of a tyraid about watching out to not trip on the folded laundry pile as they march through the living room wearing motorcycle helmets and handmade weaponry. They cannot see the laundry on the floor, they are wearing helmets..of course, I did not realize.
Or...there are times I say things I never saw coming out of my mouth, like,
don't lick your sister.
Stop using my toothbrush for that!
Did you get that out of the toilet or the sink?
And my favorite.. Are you wearing underwear or socks? No? Well, then when we get home from Costco you and your brother can wash them all so I know that you have plenty and can come fully dressed when we venture out....get your hands out of your pants..
Are you wearing shoes? No? Well it's too late to drive all the way home, now young lady, you will have to ride in the cart next to your sister all the way through the store.
Who left the scissors out? ...silence..
Cozy, "I did!"
...No Cozy your the one who used the scissors on your clothes.

It's hard to realize, in the midst of confusion, that these five will one day grow up and be big people with stories to tell. Some days are all about survival. Raw, treacherous, daily survival skill.

These are the longest days of the shortest years of my life..

Dear Lord give me super powers and give me a sense of humor...Amen

5 comments:

Amy said...

I love it! I love all the things you've said to your kids that you never thought you would! Classic. You have a beautiful family, full of love and yes, you are right - they will have stories to of their own when they are grown ups, but their favorite stories will be the ones that involve the amazing family they grew up in!

Nicole said...

I LOVE reading your stories Brooke! I laughed histerically and then I cryed!! :) So true and makes me feel like I am not alone! :)

mikeanddebbie said...

You crack me up...

Denette said...

I loved this post. =) I only have four...but it sure is comforting to know someone else is experiencing similar chaos as a family!!

Brenda B said...

OH MY GOODNESS! You made me laugh uncontrollably until I cried. The no socks and underwear thing killed me. So funny. Not sure how you do it, I have three and one of them is an adult and there are days that I "forget one" too and they go out with uncombed hair or a crazy mismatched outfit.