...Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. Ruth 1:16 This is the journey of our lives...

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Arbor Day (This Friday)

Trees. Where would we be without them? Without wood, shade, paper, barbecue, and so much more . . . the world would be a much different place if God had not created trees. (Especially the infamous “tree which gives the knowledge of good and evil” in the Garden of Eden, but let’s not go there now.) Did you know trees are mentioned in some 340 verses in 40 of the 66 books of the Bible?

According to the Arbor Day Foundation (arborday.org) the U.S. version of Arbor Day began in 1874 in the young state of Nebraska. It’s estimated more than a million trees were planted that first Arbor Day, and the idea caught on. While (U.S.) National Arbor Day is this Friday, each state celebrates its own Arbor Day according to the best planting time.

Americans are not the only ones who celebrate trees: more than 30 countries around the world, from Australia to Yemin, observe some sort of Arbor Day. Our friends to the north celebrate Maple Leaf Day in September, and some provinces hold their own days. What’s the best way to celebrate? The Arbor Day Foundation has a list of suggestions from holding a contest to taking a hike. Or, of course, you could always plant a tree!
(Courtesy of Women of Faith blog)

4 comments:

Aimee said...

tree hugger;)

Brooke Zimmermann said...

I know:) !

jolleyzoo said...

Wow and I was just looking forward to the weekend starting today!!! Good info though, I had no idea. Does watering the the big tree in my front yard count as celebration?

Brooke Zimmermann said...

I think so! We just worked in the garden and we aren't using paper plates today LOL!