...Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. Ruth 1:16 This is the journey of our lives...

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Aaaahhh...& Mmmmm...




He's home! Daniel is home and I am happy! It was a long week, but we all made it. I had lots of help and I'm so thankful. It was just no fun doing all this work without my R&R time with my amazing husband.


I was experimenting in the kitchen and gave some cookies a little fall boost with pumpkin and allspice.

I took the oatmeal cookie recipe from the top of the quick oats box and then made the following adjustments:

1 c. butter

1/2 c. raw honey

1/2 c. brown sugar

1c. Turbinado sugar (great white sugar substitute)

2 eggs

1 tsp. vanilla

1/2 c. pumpkin

1/2 tsp allspice

2 c. flour

1tsp baking soda

1 tsp. salt

1 1/2 tsp cinnamon

3 c. oats

1 bag butterscotch chips

My goal for all this cooking is to provide healthier snacks for the kids, and although I was able to substitute almost all the ingredients to organics and unbleached products, the butterscotch chips remained tainted. 2nd ingredient in, was Hydrogenated soybean oils:(. The only thing I can find to sub. butterscotch chips is to make them myself. Not sure if I'm up to that and not sure of the ingredients would actually result in them tasting the same.

So, they were delish and provided a Fallish twist on a family favorite!


We are carving pumpkins tonight and in Sunday evening tradition, eating breakfast for dinner. I found an amazing homemade pancake recipe. If you've noticed most baking mixes are filled with lots of fake ingredients. So in my quest for better eating, I have developed this yummy substitution for my usual Bisquick pancakes. It actually took about the same amount of time to whip up, and we liked them better!

1 1/2 c. unbleached whole wheat organic flour

3 1/2 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp sea salt

1 Tbl. raw sugar, turbanado sugar or raw honey

1 1/4 c. Almond milk or regular milk

1 egg

3 Tbl. butter melted

In a large bowl sift in flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. make a well in the center and pour in the milk, egg and melted butter; mix until smooth.


Happy Fall

Happy Baking


3 comments:

Doni Brinkman said...

I love that picture - so adorable. Did I tell you that I made the pork/rice/guacamole combo and loved it? As for pancakes, your UNorganic sister found a recipe I want to try. Keeps all the bad stuff and adds vanilla malt powder. :) Yum.

Don Z said...

OK Daughter, I know I said I never comment on female blogs, but this has to be an exception....Those cookes were really good! Dad

Brooke Zimmermann said...

Thank you dad! See no scary stuff here:)

Doni - Hee hee! I bet it tastes good though!