...Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. Ruth 1:16 This is the journey of our lives...

Tuesday, January 8, 2008

My Little Piece of the West

Last weekend I was asked to ride with the Cowgirls Historical Foundation. It has been an honor for me to join their riding group for many reasons, but one in particular is very close to my heart. My Grandma Morris was a pioneer of Arizona and spent her life living the western way. My Grandfather and Grandmother, Earl and Evelyn Morris were true pioneers! She and her family arrived in Arizona before it was even a state, on the very first railway that ran through it. They lived in Camp Verde, Scottsdale, Dewey and then ended their journey at the Pioneer home in Prescott, Az. During their eventful stay, my grandmother's brother used to round up wild mustangs around Camelback mountain, while my grandmother rode and trained the high- stepping Tennessee Walkers. Not only did they perform in horse shows around the state, they rode their horses in parades in beautiful silver saddles. I felt so privileged to be a part of that heritage as I sat in a vintage silver saddle and a 1960's original riding suit for a parade downtown. Soon I will actually wear a leather riding outfit that my grandmother wore in an upcoming fashion show at Festival of The West at Rawhide. They will tell her story as I model her outfit! This is why I love living on a ranch with my family, to carry on the tradition of the western spirit. (yeah, yeah, the rodeo queen never dies! LOL)





3 comments:

heidi jo said...

what fun!!! and what a beautiful heritage... oh yeah, and enjoy the spotlight. :)
heidi jo

Doni Brinkman said...

I never knew that story Brooke. That IS cool! And you look ever the beautiful Rodeo Queen:)

jolleyzoo said...

You look great and what a honour!!