...Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. Ruth 1:16 This is the journey of our lives...

Wednesday, January 2, 2008

From America to Africa...a different kind of Christmas

Our Christmas was so safe, so indulgent, so much food, so many friends and family! What a blessing and joy. What a whirlwind! But what fun! The kids are still climbing out from under all their new toys. I think I was still unloading some of the presents out of the car today! We then went to the mall to redeem gift cards. There is so much for us here and we love it, but I know we take it for granted. I love that my kids don't live in fear, they don't worry about their clothing or if we have food in the house. I wonder, I as I think about our family in Africa, what it must be like. To be a parent of a child that carries such burdens. I just heard from Heather Jamison (you can see her blog below), they are missionary's in Kenya and actually had to go to North Africa to escape tribal wars this Christmas and New Year. They are safe now, but living in a Muslim community. However, they had to leave behind the Adopt a Legacy family's and orphans. Our little Jonah as well. Due to the riots right now caused by political upheaval, the stores and banks have been closed. And here we were today, at the mall of all places (valet parking even...) and families were waiting, waiting for trucks to deliver food so they didn't go hungry. Thankfully God is so good! He allowed the banks closest to our families to open and Representatives of the families were able to get money and supplies to last a while. With such uncertainty it is likely they will have to continue to go through dangerous territory to receive the items they need. Jonah, is one of 7 siblings... I worry about such pitiful things. Our God is so great he can feed the orphans, the widows... the sparrows, all that he created. How then can I become so discontent and worrisome? Our God is an Awesome God! It humbles me when I see His greatness shine through the desperately needy. Pop-culture Goodwill Ambassadors get so much credit these days, and yet no one could have opened the doors that God did this week in Kenya. I am so thankful to live in America, yet I am ashamed at the lack of faith that begins to take root in me living in this land of comfort.
To read more about the upheaval in Ki tale, Kenya please visit www.heatheronthenet.com.
Happy New Year! I hope this year opens all our eyes to the Greatness of God's love.

1 comment:

heidi jo said...

i love your heart for missions. :) i want to sponsor a child from africa one day and have even thought of going there one day myself. my mom's cousin, bethany, is actually IN kenya on a missions trip RIGHT NOW. her family decided that all the adults would not exchange gifts this year but instead sponsored children earlier in the year. she is meeting the actual child they sponsored and sharing the love of Jesus. the unrest in the area has family concnerned, of course, but they are continually reassured that their group is in a safe place, at least for now... praying for her safe return and Jesus love to saturate the hearts of all the broken.