...Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. Ruth 1:16 This is the journey of our lives...

Saturday, December 22, 2007

We are Back!


New York was as wonderful as I ever thought it would be! What an adventure! To start, we had to land in Baltimore instead of Laguardia airport in N.Y. due to bad weather. Little known to use we would be at the Baltimore airport until 2:00am waiting for a bus; that were not sure ever showed up! We got together with a couple business guys and bartered with a taxi driver to take us 4 hours back to our hotels. That was a long ride, but we finally arrived at the Waldorf Astoria hotel at 5:00am Monday morning! The hotel was absolute luxury. I've never stayed in a hotel like that before and now I'm spoiled! White robes, down pillows, satin sheets, it was amazing! We got a couple hours sleep and met up with our friends, Derek and Amy Roberts, their hotel was just across form ours and they had free breakfasts for us! (things were looking up!)
Amy and I in front of Rockefeller Center
Daniel and I in Bryant Park
We then set out on our sightseeing. On our first day we walked from 9:00am to 4:00pm across uptown Manhattan. We saw, St. Patrick's church, Rockefeller Center, Radio City Music hall, The NBC building, Macy's, Grand Central Station, Bryant Park, Times Square, Toy's R Us (it had a Farris wheel inside it!), and the Empire State Building. We then hopped on the subway and went to Greenwich Village and had dinner at this Jazz club and listened to live jazz while eating great steaks. Needless to say, we were exhausted!

Daniel and I inside the Statue of Liberty, in front of the original torch
Tuesday, we woke up early to catch the ferry to Liberty Island to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. There was so much security to see her we had to stand in line for two hours and go through two security gates! Although after climbing after 156 stairs inside the statue it was well worth the view and the opportunity. we then headed back to Manhattan and went to Central Park, it was so beautiful and covered in snow. We took a horse drawn carriage ride through the park right at sunset. Yes, I ask Daniel to marry me LOL! It seemed the right moment!



After our romantic carriage ride we headed to 5th Ave., its the most expensive shopping in town. Prada, Tiffany's, and such. Yes, of course I went into Tiffany's all three floors! It was amazing! We went to FAO Schwartz, its the biggest toy store I've ever seen. Its the one that has the big piano that Tom Hanks played on in the movie Big. Amy, played it. I was wearing like three pairs of sock and uggs, so I didn't want to remove all that to play! That cold weather put a damper on trying on clothes too! Anyways, we then headed to the American Doll store. And yes, we bought the girls American Dolls! So that was Tuesday and then Derek and Amy had to go back to N. Carolina. Daniel and I had room service for fun, and I guess a $60.00 hamburger and fries is better than a $5 one. LOL! Wed. was my Birthday so we decided to take a subway and just explore the upper East Village and Soho, and yes we got lost and ended up in a very bad part of town...not a good idea in the city. But we found our way and did some shopping. We were Christmas shopping for each other there. When we made it back to the hotel it was time to get ready for Phantom of the Opera. It had started to rain and was about 20 degrees and I was wearing a dress, so we decided to take a cab instead of walk the 5 blocks. But instead we ended up in one of those rickshaws puled by a bike!!! I thought we would die for sure, they are the craziest drivers. But we made it and had time for a quick dinner before the show. The Majestic theatre was beautiful. It was very old and ornate and made the show that much better! So, that concludes our amazing big city adventure! We flew home without incident and our homecoming with the kids was perfect. They missed us, but didn't realize it until we came home! Thank you Papa and Sweetie!

a Night at R.C.

4 comments:

Doni Brinkman said...

I am so glad you had such a wonderful time and got to see so much. I really love the live snowglobe - I just love snowglobes. What a great birthday present!

Time for Treasures said...

Your trip sounds so amazing! If it is anything like Chicago (which I'm sure it is just on a grander scale) then you definetely get a different feeling when you are there. I don't know how to explain it but I think you know what I mean. Things are just way different. more exciting, more fast paced, and the people are different too, more sophisticated, fancier, richer :) Did you have any celebrity citings?

Brooke Zimmermann said...

No celebs:( I was watching though! I guess we didn't go anywhere ritzy enough! I totally know what you mean about the faster and bigger, such a different world!

Aimee said...

What amazing memories you guys have to look back on. I am SO glad you had the opportunity to take this trip and enjoy it to the fullest! And we had so much fun with the kids in the snow while you were gone, we really enjoyed them:)