...Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. Ruth 1:16 This is the journey of our lives...

Wednesday, December 5, 2007

The fight with the Bobcat!

For a month now a bobcat and her cub have been stalking our chickens and ducks. Actually they started with our neigh boors ducks, all six of them in one week! Then they attacked us. We lost 6 chickens in two weeks. Our poor chickens were being so terrorized they quit laying eggs. I tried feeding them more, locking them up in a smaller pen at night, fresh hay. nothing seemed to relax them! I don't blame them, they witnessed two murders, one drowning and one eaten right before their very eyes! Daniel laid out a small trap, but no luck. However, after two weeks of no attacks, life in the chicken pen resumed its usually clucking, crowing and laying. I guess we counted or eggs a little too early...two nights ago my big red rooster was attacked, not eaten, just mauled. He must have tried to fight because they didn't even eat him. I felt so sorry for him, he truly has fought off two hawks and a dog and lived to tell about it. The bobcat was too much for even him. Unfortunately, Daniel had to use the rooster's body as a trap.Again, Daniel constructed a trap door that would snap shut when they got close to the rooster. We were up most the night at every sound we heard and still no Cat. Had my roster died in vain? I had six chickens and two ducks still alive...until last night. I think the cat was proving a point, no trap could stop him! He came in and finished off all six chickens and my two ducks. It has been a dark day at our house and we are on a hunt. We also saw two coyotes in our yard and one was trying to tear a hole in the chicken pen! I don't know why our chickens were so appetizing. But I am not happy about it.

1 comment:

Doni Brinkman said...

And Graham thought I-Codies were scary! Yikes! The kids made me watch Babe this week with them and I can visualize the perspective on this whole affair. I think that Cat is going down.