...Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. Ruth 1:16 This is the journey of our lives...

Friday, August 13, 2010

An Unexpected Visitor

Yesterday, as Daniel went out to feed the animals, there was an older lady in a small, old, white truck sitting outside our driveway. As Daniel approached, she waved and said she loved our sign. She had been driving by tryng to figure out what "Suchawee" meant. When it dawned on her, she just loved it and wanted to see who lived at the "Suchawee Ranch". She emerged from her little truck, a small, but hardy women in her 80's wearing an old house dress, raggedy tennis shoes and using cane. Daniel invited her to feed with him and she quickly agreed. We spent the morning with Jaque, she has lived in New River for 40 years in a house her husband built. With no central heating or air! She has 4 children, all grown of course and now lives alone except for her renter who is a 60 year old, Vietnam vet who is prone to violent behavior. She talks about his episodes as a part of his hurting world and how they work together to work through it. She and I had a lot in common, we are both Arizona natives and my grandparents and her parent's homesteaded here. We both love to garden and ride horses. When she looked at Daniel and I she said, you love the Lord, I can see it in your eyes. It wasn't a questions it was a statement. She was such a joy and she kept saying that now she had something to look forward too.

I wonder at what point life; that moves so quickly and seems so important, then begins to slow and somehow we learn that those huge important things, are just part of the journey. She seemed to understand that, and was happily just living one moment at a time with no real plans except for what God had for her that day. And she found us. It was an important part of our journey of just living for the day that God put in front of us. And yesterday, it was to be home and bless a sweet woman named Jaque.

4 comments:

counselor said...

"Be not forgetful to entertain strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares" (Heb.13:2)

Doni Brinkman said...

Sounds like she blessed you. :)

Amy said...

I love how you completely embraced her, just like it says in Hebrews 13:2

We never did get a hold of one another the other day! I completely forgot that I was going to give you a call :-) I'll try again this week, don't want to bother you guys on the weekend.

Aimee said...

That is SO cool Brooke! I hope I get to meet her too someday:).