...Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. Ruth 1:16 This is the journey of our lives...

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Dog Days of Summer

My house gets really small in the summer! My two acres shrinks in to the 1400 square feet of a house and we all pile in and get a little claustrophobic. I get a little stir crazy in the summer and need my outdoor fresh air, instead I'm met with a fiery furnace and scorching heat accompanied by masses of fly's and no place to send my two rambunctious boys. Normally I herd them outdoors to run off their energy. Today was especially hard because we couldn't go to swim lessons, Braxtyn had a fever. Yes, a cold in June, in our 5 straight days of over 110 degree weather! I'm complaining a bit, yes I know, but really, I need the woods, another lake trip or better yet, the beach! I have a hard time staying still anyways, but when I can't go outdoors to garden or ride or just sit on my porch, I am a bit testy.... Thankfully, Daniel took me to Pei Wei for dinner. It was too hot to turn on the oven or go outside to grill! So anyways, back to my point, I need an indoor hobby. Most of my hobbies are outdoors. And I need to save on fuel, so any ideas? I'm trying out sewing. Also, I need some new recipes. Can anyone send me a favorite recipe online, I think I make the same 9 dinners over and over. I need lots of beef and steak recipes, we just got all our cow back. Its a lot of meat. Ok, enough complaining about the heat. I wouldn't trade our 8 months of mild weather, even for a milder summer. However, I do think an indoor hobby would be good.

3 comments:

heidi jo said...

pottery, painting, jewelry-making, crocheting, clay molding (kids would enjoy too) :) -just some ideas... digitally editing your family pics for the blog... video editing...

you've got a good hubby taking you out for dinner. mine let me order pizza last night. those easy nights are SO helpful.

www.epicurious.com has some really unusual recipes.

Brooke Zimmermann said...

Thank you!!

Doni Brinkman said...

Spaghetti Pie - Aunt Beck's creation.

Boil your spaghetti as normal. When done, stir in 4 T butter, 3/4 cup grated parmesan, and garlic salt to taste. Mix in 1 beaten egg. Layer noodles with favorite spaghetti sauce, (your cow meat if you want:), and mozzerella. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. I love this recipe! Just made it last night.